To Our Friends and Patrons:
As you know, the city of Norwich faces a very difficult 2009-2010 budget year. Every city department confronts daunting cuts in funding, and the library is not exempt from this reality. In our case, this amounts to 12% of our 2008-2009 allocation, a total reduction of $134,580. In order to adjust to this reduction we need to reduce expenses in several areas.
Therefore, beginning with the new fiscal year starting on July 1, 2009 the Otis Library must reduce its hours of operation. We have reviewed levels of usage, tracked attendance at different events, and attempted to minimize the inconvenience to the public.
As of July 1, 2009, our hours will be as follows:
• Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (except July and August when we are closed on Saturdays)
• For Fiscal Year 2009-2010 (July 1, 2009 to June 30 2010) the library will suspend Sunday hours;
• During the weeks of August 17 and 24, the library will be closed.
We know that recessions are cyclical, and conditions will improve. We also must approach the current challenges with maturity, fiscal prudence and perseverance.Our hope is that if the economic indicators improve and with them the fortunes of the city, the library will be able to restore hours and recoup the funding that is now unavailable.
Thank you for your patronage, support and understanding during these difficult times.
Robert D. Farwell, Director
The Otis Library